Captain's Privilege is an umbrella term in use for the Tinris World Navy since the Era of Law. As a Privilege of Rank, Captain's Privilege is reserved for all officers of Captain rank or above, though superior ranks enjoy their own Privilege as well.
The first instance of Captain's Privilege in the historical record appears to be in conjuction with Admiral Mozdanhorzon's Spacefarer's Manual, though this fact is hotly disputed as no known copies of the original Spacefarer's Manual survived the Collapse.
During the tenure of Mozdanhorzon as First Admiral to the Tinris World Navy, a number of policies and best practices were entered. While most of these trace direct lineage to Admiral Mozdanhorzon himself, others have been improperly attributed and have gained a somewhat mythical quality in proceeding years.
With the restoration of the Tinris World Navy under Second Admiral Kafa Goh, a newly drafted Spacefarer's Manual was in order. Allegedly in possession of an original copy of her predecessor's Manual, Admiral Goh wrote and published the new version, again called Admiral Mozdanhorzon's Space Farer's Manual in homage to her predecessor. The Manual is most commonly known as the Blackjacket's Handbook, after the dark blue (commonly mistaken for black) Officer's Dress Uniform worn by all Tinris World Navy officers.
Specifics of the PrivilegeEdit
As currently outlined, Captain's Privilege allows the duly appointed Captain of a Tinris World Navy ship the following basic rights:
- The right to call and preside as judge over a court martial of crew under his or her command.
- The right to field-appoint to office any civilian to an official rank not to exceed Lieutenant Commander.
- The right to unilaterally commandeer a civilian ship of the line during times of conflict.
- The right to request captaincy of a Tinris World Navy ship of the line currently under the command of an officer of lower rank.
- The right to perform, and have recognized, a marriage between any members of a crew under his or her direct command.
- The right to remove any member of the chain of command from post without countermand, pending a court martial. A subsequent field promotion to fill the newly vacated post is included with this right.
- The right to execute, maroon or sentence to the lash a member of his or her crew in times of extreme adversity.